CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Few travelers.

The peer pressure has gotten the best of us. We both frequent other peoples blogs and decided to not only be takers but givers as well. We also agreed that the only way we would consent to a blog was that we would both contribute. So...we will see how this works out. I'm sure we will both write often but mine will probably be longer than my husbands due to the fact that I am the talker.

We have been brainstorming ideas for a blog name and as you know my creative husband...no generic name would do! After watching the movie Fireproof we discussed the fact that it is slowly becoming abnormal to stay married. Divorce is the norm. In that discussion I mentioned to Cory about how that idea reminds me of a poem by Robert Frost The Road Not Taken that I studied in high school. There are many interpretations of the poem, but I like my own interpretation. That there are 2 paths and the man could not decide which one to take so he took the one less traveled and when he looked back he felt that the path he chose made all the difference. Now, I am sure scholars of poetry would disagree but I prefer to look at it this way. Read it for yourself:


The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
This poem led to us discussing the verse in Matthew 7:14 [But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.] The verse refers to salvation and how few people choose to life a life committed and dedicated to God; however, several godly people have looked back over their life and felt that choosing that path, "made all the difference." A difference that resulted in eternal life with our Father.

We both desire to follow that narrow path because great are the rewards in heaven. Living a godly life can often be described as a narrow, sometimes desolate path with few travelers, many bumps, flat tires and moments of cruise control that in the end leads to an everlasting and eternal life with our God. We hope as you read our crazy, serious and ridiculous moments of life that you find interest in joining us on "This Deserted Highway."

CEC

7 comments:

Shannon

Welcome to Blogland!!!

Unknown

yay! the calhouns have a blog!!

'The H Family'

Yea!! Another blogger!! I've got to get on the ball and actually update mine so that I can 'give' and not just 'receive' as well!! :) Love you girl!
Stina

O'Dell Family

aw, yay! i love it! it looks fabulous! my third graders have to memorize that poem this year! great one! we love y'all!

Christina Anderson

Ok, I am totally pumped that you guys actually have a blog,now you have to add us to the blog stalker list.www.johnandchristinaanderson.blogspot.com

Paige

hey there! love to see new blogs. have a great one!

Crystal

Welcome to the blogging world!! I love new blogs. Hope you guys are doing well.