CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Spilling the beans

Just to back track a little bit, I have to tell the story of how I told Cory I was pregnant.

I took a pregnancy test the morning of Cory's birthday (August 16).  The test came back VERY FAINTLY positive but positive nonetheless.  I debated all day if I should tell Cory or just take another test the next morning and see if it was any darker.  By noon that day I had convinced myself to wait and tell him tomorrow.  However, once I got home and made his birthday dinner I decided to just go for it.  So, when he got home we had dinner and he opened presents.  After he opened all his wrapped gifts I told him he had one more gift in the kitchen.  He said "O, did you make me a cake?"  I just laughed it off.  So he looked around the kitchen a minute and then I said, "You have to look in the oven."  So when he opened the oven door this is what he saw...


It took him a good 5 or 6 seconds before he turned around while still hunched over and said "Are you for real?"  I busted out laughing.  {It is a "bun in the oven" in case you are confused}.  It is VERY rare that I can truly surprise Cory so this was a classic moment.  He was of course very excited and I was glad I was finally able to tell him after keeping it a secret all day!  I did explain to him that it was faintly positive but that I took the test WAY early so it could be wrong.  Although I felt like I was pregnant.  I took a test the next day and it was much darker.  I then had my blood drawn twice within 48 hours and all my levels were doubling like they should. 

Next, we were on to tell our parents.  We waited about 2 weeks later {Labor Day weekend} to tell our parents.  My parents were coming up for the weekend and I had been feeling pretty sick so I knew I would have to tell them or they would figure it out.  When we told them we were pregnant with Lincoln we gave them a heart-shaped box (since my due date was Valentine's Day) with Baby Ruth bars in them and the ultrasound pictures.  So this time we decided to again be creative with the delivery of our news.  We brainstormed ideas and decided we would go with an "umbrella" theme since the baby was due in April.  We also decided to keep "Baby Ruths" as part of it too since we did that last time.  So Cory came up with the idea of tying the Baby Ruth candy bars to the underneath side of the umbrella so they would dangle down when opened up. 

So, on Friday night after my parents arrived we chatted for a little bit and then Cory brought up to my dad (the weather buff) the topic of all the hurricanes hitting the East coast.  Then Cory walks in the dining room, opens the umbrella with dangling Baby Ruth bars and walks back in the living room.  He then says "Well I hear there is a big hurricane coming next April called Hurricane Babe".  My mom got it right away but not so much my dad.  It took him a little while to figure it out.  I was sitting the couch crying I was laughing so stinkin hard!  Here is a picture I took later of Cory with the umbrella.


Cory told his parents using the Hurricane Babe story too but over the phone.  His dad caught on pretty fast but his mom cracked us up.  She did not get it at first and told Cory there was no way that the weather people could predict this far out about hurricanes.  We were rolling on the floor.

We have definitely had fun with sharing our news!