In a time where job insecurity and job loss is highly discussed, I have caught myself thinking about my job. The conclusion: I truly love my job. It is not secret that I endured lots of years of school to land the gig that I have now but it was worth it.
I (heart) the purpose of my job -- to help kids who need help, truly NEED help.
I (heart) the opportunities that I have to interact with so many people a day --principals, teachers, speech paths, secretaries, parents and most importantly the kids.
I (heart) the flexibility that I have with my job -- four schools to keep up with, in no particular order just get the job done.
I (heart) the consulting I get to do with teachers who share a passion for children -- behavior plans and problem solving.
I (heart) walking down the hallways and seeing the kids learning -- the atmosphere that comes with the carefree attitude of kids.
I (heart) being in the building on holidays -- Halloween and Valentine's parties are the best.
I (heart) getting off work at 3:00 -- well, maybe more like 3:45 somedays but I will take it.
I (heart) the things that kids say to me sometimes -- today I was testing and had the student run back to class to get his glasses before we started....as I was standing at the door of the room waiting for him to come back another student walked by that I had tested a couple of day before. He looked up at me, and without breaking stride, he said "You back testing again?" I said, "Well, of course, that is why they pay me the big bucks!" He said, "Poor kid!" and kept walking. I am guessing that he didn't really enjoy his testing process the couple of days before. LOL. I love having these stories to tell.
I remember hearing that saying, "Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." Somedays I come home and think -- did I just paid for what I did today! Fabulous. At the rate I am going -- I think when I retire I will be able to say that I never worked a day in my life.
Cheers to being a SPS.
Almost 2 years down and only 26 more to go till retirement, but who's counting.
Favorites from August
7 months ago


3 comments:
we do have a great job. I feel the same way! Getting to make a difference for a kid is very rewarding (and the 6.5 hour workdays, government holidays, and paid summers off don't hurt either)
I'm really glad you're enjoying it. You let me know if y'all need any more help down that way! ;-)
Yay, Aunt Cari! We are so proud of you and we love you!
Hey Cari! It's Sarah Fries, one of those speech paths that you get to consult with! It was great reading your post! It puts our jobs in perspective. There is definitely the good and the bad, but good to see you focusing on the best parts of our jobs! Thanks for the encouragement!
Post a Comment